Since the holidays are fast approaching, I thought I would put together a short list of some great toys that I have tried (both at home and clinically) to help kids develop fine motor, visual motor, gross motor, and sensory integrative skills.
Many toys/games’ skills overlap, and this is a REALLY brief list. The main idea here is to get kids to engage in spontaneous, ever-changing, fun, active and imaginative play. 🙂
Fine Motor/Strength/Bilateral Integration:
3. Tegu Magnetic Wooden Blocks
4. Aron’s Thinking Putty
6. Alex Peg and Layer Jungle
9. Lakeshore Feed the Bunny/Puppy
10. Fidgets: Bug Out Bob, “Squoosh Pets” (Fun and Function)
12. Play Scene
13. Melissa and Doug Pizza/Birthday Cake/Cookies
14. Mr. Potato Head
15. Rainbow Loom activity sets (I have found them pretty cheap at discount stores now
16. Weaving Loom
17.Duct tape projects
19. Boogie Board LCD Writing Tablet
20. Wikki Stix Activity Set
21. Wok N’Roll
22. Fruit Stand Avalanche
23. Lincoln logs
24. Pop beads (they come in different sizes, which affects the level of difficulty).
1. Trac It
2. Find It Games
3. Where’s Waldo?
4. I Spy…
5. The Multi-Matrix Game
6. Melissa and Doug Sort and Stack
7. Alex Button Art
9. Spot It!
19. Lacing Beads
20. Melissa and Doug Puzzle in a Box
21. Think Fun Hoppers
22. Get a Grip on Patterns
23. Felt Pizza activity set (they have great ones on etsy.com). This also works for motor planning.
24. Marble magnetic mazes
25. Highlight magazine activities
1. Super-Stretch ABC
2. Tricky Fingers
3. Wobble Deck
4. The Cat in the Hat I Can Do That!
5. Lab Mice
6. ThinkFun Games (i.e.-Rush Hour Jr, Rush Hour, Candy Fix, Cover Your Tracks!, etc.)
7. The Zipper
8. Bop It!
10. Children’s cookbooks (recipes that have multiple steps, and your child has to carry them out).
Sensory Integration/Gross Motor/Fine Motor:
1. Body Sox (I like the Space Explorer from Fun and Function)
2. Resistance Play Tunnels
3. Bazoongi Bouncer Trampoline
4. Alex Monkey Balance Board
6. Tangle Fidgets
7. Alex Kid Concoctions-Magic Muck, Mix n’Slime, Slippery Spheres, Silly Squares
8. Moon Sand
9. Model Magic
11. Space Sand
12. Super Snow
13. Hopper Balls
15. Brookstone Sand/sandbox/toolbox
16. Lava lamps
17. Fish/aquarium lights
18. Beanbag chair
19. Weighted blanket in child’s color/pattern choice
20. Lycra compression bedding in child’s color/pattern choice
21. Compression/weighted clothing in child’s favorite colors/patterns (see my book for more info).
22. Weighted/ scented stuffed animals.